Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch
Did you know that only 5.4% of Australian children eat enough vegetables? Simply telling them they have to eat them because they’re healthy doesn’t work. Instead, we want to increase kids’ knowledge, exposure and positive attitudes towards vegetables with your help.
Vegetable Week, featuring the fun event ‘The Big Vegie Crunch’, runs from Monday 22 May to Friday 26 May, with The Big Vegie Crunch being held at 10am on Thursday 25 May.
We know schools may want to do more than just a one-off crunch to promote vegetables. So we have placed The Big Vegie Crunch within a week-long celebration of the humble veg. We have plenty of educational and fun ideas for additional activities you can do to encourage your students (and staff!) to eat more vegetables.
Last year, 13,000 students in 61 NSW primary schools crunched together to break the record for the most kids eating vegetables simultaneously. In 2017 we want to smash these numbers and encourage kids across NSW to get positive about crunching more veg!
What if your school or class can’t crunch at 10am on Thursday 25 May? That’s ok! Feel free to make another time during the week that suits your school better. Just let us know what day and time your school or class crunched when we collect your participation numbers after the event.
Vegetable Week and The Big Vegie Crunch is FREE and you can do as much or as little as you like. Register below to let us know your school is going to be involved.
Once registered, we will send you an enewsletter with lots of resources to help you get ready for the week:
- A helpful guide on getting ready for The Big Vegie Crunch – Get ready, Get steady, Get crunching!
- Ideas on other fun, and educational, veg-related activities you can do with your school community – Up the veg!
- School newsletter snippets (and a copy of the event logo) to use in your communications with parents
- A media release you can modify and send to your local media outlets to let them know what you are up to
- A countdown slide show (and notes on how to use it) so that you don’t miss the big moment!
For further questions, please contact us.