Vietnamese chicken noodle salad
GREEN (SA & ACT)
Makes 8 serves
- 250g dried rice noodles e.g. vermicelli
- 400g skinless cooked chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup shallots, sliced
- 1 cup bean shoots (optional)
- ½ cup mint, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup coriander, chopped (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- In a large heatproof bowl, place rice noodles and cover in hot boiling water.
- Separate with a fork and allow to stand for 4 minutes or until noodles are tender. Drain and return to bowl.
- Add chicken and remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad immediately prior to serving and toss through.
- Use different noodles such as hokkien, chow mein, or pad thai noodles.
- Add or remove different vegetables to the recipe, ensuring that the overall amount of veggies is the same.
- Replace the chicken with firm tofu or extra veg.
- Don’t oversoak the noodles or they will stick together and become very hard to manage.
- This recipe is very easy to double or triple of you want to make a large batch, or use some as the filling for rice paper rolls.
Recipe tested by JG June 2016
Download and print this recipe: Vietnamese chicken noodle salad