GREEN (ACT, SA & VIC) / Everyday (NSW)
Makes 20 serves
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 120g reduced salt tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs (dried or fresh)
- ½ cup water
- 2 large carrot grated
- 2 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 3 zucchinis grated
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil, until soft.
- Add the mince and fry until completely browned.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, herbs, water, carrot, mushrooms and zucchini and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If sauce starts to dry out, add a little more water.
Add extra vegetables such as, kidney beans, lentils, capsicum and green beans. Can be used for:
- Pasta Bolognese
- Burrito filling
- You can use dried mixed herbs or if herbs are grown in your school garden use fresh herbs such as basil, rosemary and thyme.
- This recipe freezes well.
Recipe tested by JG April 2016
Download and print this recipe: Bolognese Sauce