GREEN (ACT, SA & VIC) / Everyday (NSW)
Makes 12 serves (45g-50g each serve)
- 400g chickpeas, drained but keep some of the liquid
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed spread)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Add a small amount of the liquid from the chickpeas until you reach your preferred consistency
- Carrot hommus: Toss 2-3 leftover carrot sticks in olive oil and cumin then bake for 20 minutes until carrots are tender. Allow them to cool then blend or toss with the other ingredients.
- Green hommus: Add some finely chopped parsley, chives and coriander to the basic recipe.
- Moroccan hommus: Add 1 teaspoon of Moroccan seasoning to the basic recipe and replace the olive oil with sesame oil.
- Orange hommus: finely grate the rind of one orange (avoid the white pith). Add it to the basic recipe and use orange juice instead of liquid from the chickpeas to get the desired consistency.
- Serve as a crunch kit with crunchy carrot sticks, celery sticks and grainy crackers.
Recipe tested by SD August 2018