GREEN (ACT & SA)
Lamb mince is tasty, affordable and goes a long way. If your kids aren’t too keen on spicy food, replace the cumin and coriander with more fresh or dried herbs, lemon/lime juice or milder spices for seasoning.
Makes 20 koftas
- 1kg lean lamb mince
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint, fresh or dried
- Oil for brushing
- Mix all the ingredients (apart from the oil) together in a large bowl until well blended.
- Divide into 20 small balls, then roll each ball on a board with a cupped hand to turn them into ovals. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- In a lightly oiled pan on medium heat, cook the koftas until browned on one side, then turn. Once cooked, place on a tray lined with paper towel and pop in a low oven to keep warm.
- Serve two per student (three for high school students) with a side of homemade tzatziki, a pumpkin and spinach salad and warm pita bread.