Lemon Pepper Baked Brussel Sprout Leaves
GREEN (ACT & SA) / Everyday (NSW)
Makes 4 serves
- 500g Brussel sprouts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. course or cracked pepper
- Zest of 1x lemon
- Preheat oven to 125 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the outermost leaves off your Brussel sprouts, ensure you save the rest of the Brussel sprout for other recipes. You should get 4-6 large leaves per Brussel sprout.
- In a large bowl toss your Brussel sprout leaves with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the Brussel sprout leaves with pepper and lemon zest then toss again.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and spread the Brussel sprout leaves evenly on the tray ensuring none are overlapping.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes checking the leaves at 5 minutes and then every few minutes thereafter.
- Toss, turn or rotate the leaves/tray at around 10 minutes, then remove them once crispy or when the edges start to go brown.
- Brussel sprouts can be expensive, so keep an eye out for when they are on special. By using the left-over part of the Brussel sprouts in other recipes (baked veggies, shredded in coleslaw or cut up in a curry), you can reduce the cost of this yummy snack.
- If you find it difficult to peel the leaves off your Brussel sprouts, try chopping the bottom ¼ off them first.
- If you wash your Brussel sprout leaves before preparing them, ensure they are thoroughly dry before adding the oil and flavourings, otherwise, they won’t crisp up in the oven and may become soggy.
- If you don’t plan on eating your yummy leaves straight away, ensure you store them in an airtight container. But be prepared for them to lose some of their crispiness and crunch though, as once baked they are sensitive to moisture.
- Cooking times may vary depending on your oven. So, ensure you keep an eye out the first time you make this recipe to make sure you don’t burn the leaves.
- Experiment with different spices. Why not try other flavours such as fresh rosemary, lime zest and smoked paprika or tomato powder and Italian herbs (pizza flavour!).
Recipe tested by JM July 2018
Download and print this recipe: here