Mother’s Day Breakfast
We’ve done some research and discovered that on average, 94% of our Facebook fans and twitter followers are women. So if you’re here talking about children, then you’re most likely mothers. As a big shout out to all of you mothers who work so hard at your kids’ canteens and at home, we want to say “Happy Mother’s Day!” Your work is very much appreciated!
Although we can’t cook for you and serve it in bed, here are some ideas on cooking the perfect Mother’s Day Breakfast. Print it for your partner and kids – then, sit back and relax while they do the cooking. Enjoy!
Omelettes are great for any meal but for a mother’s day breakfast in bed they are perfect. Easy to make and you can fill an omelette with your mum’s favourite extras. All you have to do is get a couple of eggs, pour in a dash of reduced-fat milk , whisk well and that’s the basis of your recipe!
Here’s how jazz up your omelette:
Veggie Packed omelette
Sautee some baby spinach, zucchini and tomato in an oil sprayed fry pan and pour egg mixture on top. Allow for it to cook and sprinkle with reduced-fat cheese.
Mexican Fiesta omelette
Cook the omelette until it’s almost done. Add in kidney beans, low fat cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and chopped tomatoes to one half of the omelette. Fold the omelette in half and cook until cheese melts.
The Classic omelette
Cook the omelette until it’s almost done. Scatter grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese and diced tomato then arrange reduced-fat ham over the top. Cook for approximately 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Serve warm and optional herbs like chives or parsley.
Serve omelettes with whole grain or wholemeal bread.
For the sweet tooth…
Apple and Berry Yoghurt Twist
- 1 small apple
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon of apple juice
- 1/2 cup of muesli
- 1/2 cup of reduced-fat yoghurt
- Peel and chop one apple. Sprinkle cinnamon on apple chunks and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add apple juice and stir and microwave for one more minute. Let apple cool.
- Combine berries and apples in a bowl and set aside until berries have thawed.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons for muesli into a glass. Add 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of berry and apple mixture. Repeat with remaining muesli, yoghurt and berry mixture.
Place your chosen food on a nice tray, decorate it with some flowers and serve with your mum’s favourite drink (tea, coffee, juice).