Nut-free chicken pesto pasta
GREEN (ACT & SA) / Everyday (NSW)
Makes 10 serves
Pesto ingredients (makes 125ml):
- 1 cup (35g) firmly packed basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup (10g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (20g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon (10g) sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons water (optional)
- 500g chicken breast, chopped into bite sized chunks and poached
- 625g dry pasta of your choice (e.g. penne, macaroni), cooked according to instructions and drained
- 200g cherry tomatoes (one punnet)
- 300g broccoli (one head)
- Place all pesto ingredients (except oil and water) into a food processor or blender.
- Pulse for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides as needed.
- With the motor running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream.
- Check the taste and consistency and add extra lemon juice, pepper or water to modify taste or thickness.
- Cut the broccoli into small trees and the stem into small chunks.
- Lightly steam or boil the broccoli until just cooked.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Place the cooked chicken, cooked pasta, broccoli and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl, then add the pesto and mix well.
- Divide amongst 10 containers and serve either hot or cold.
- Use this pesto recipe as a spread to add a zing to homemade pizzas, wraps, sandwiches and burgers.
- Keep an eye on the seeds as they’re toasting because they can quickly burn.
- Double or triple the recipe based on your needs.
Recipe tested by ES October 2016
Download and print this recipe: Nut-free chicken pesto pasta