Position Vacant: Canteen Manager Castle Hill Public School
Castle Hill Public School P&C Association operate the school canteen five days per week throughout the NSW school term. They are seeking an enthusiastic leader to join as Canteen Manager. The position is 5 days per week, 6.5 hours a day, 8:00am-2:30pm during the school term.
Applications close Monday, 6th December 2021.
As a paid employee of Castle Hill Public School P&C Association, the Canteen Manager is answerable to Castle Hill Public School P&C executive and reports directly to the President.
To be considered for this position you must meet the following criteria:
- Food Handling Certificate or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrated ability for the profitable management and operation of the school canteen including daily banking and record keeping, stock management, menu development and training and management of canteen staff and volunteers
- Ability to manage a large pool of volunteers including scheduling, recruitment and regular communications
- Demonstrated understanding of healthy eating and ability to prepare, cook and promote healthy foods
- Knowledge of the Department of Education Nutrition in Schools Policy
- Previous experience working in a school canteen or experience working in a fast-paced food environment
- Understanding of WH&S principles
- Hold a valid paid WWCC
It is a requirement of employment that a Prohibited Employment Declaration and Criminal History Check will be completed.
Applications for employment must address the listed criteria and be accompanied by a current resume, including two referees.
Please forward applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close Monday, 6th December 2021.
Purpose of the position
This position is responsible for the profitable management and operation of the school canteen according to the policies and procedures of Castle Hill Public School Canteen Policy.
The position is to develop exciting and appetising menus which provide healthy food and drink choices for the students and staff at Castle Hill Public School.
The successful applicant will have excellent interpersonal skills that will support the development of strong and effective working relationships with all volunteers, teachers and school staff, suppliers and the P&C. It is also essential they develop positive and friendly relationships with students.
The Castle Hill Public School canteen’s aims and objectives are to provide nutritious, healthy and hygienically prepared food at a reasonable and affordable price. As a public school, the Canteen Manager will support and follow the Department of Education ‘Nutrition in Schools Policy’. Menu options should always encourage healthy eating habits in our children.
The canteen is “volunteer-based”. This opportunity of becoming involved in your children’s school is open to each and every parent, providing the chance to meet other parents and to get involved in raising much needed funds for our school. We aim to achieve the highest possible level of accreditation to our canteen with keeping the menu exciting and appetising for the children yet healthy and nutritious.
The Canteen Manager is responsible to the P&C executive and reports directly to the P&C president.
Hours for this position
5 days per week (Monday – Friday), 6.5 hours per day, from 8:00am to 2:30pm
In accordance with Fast Food Industry Award 2010 [MA000003],
Classification: Casual – Level 3—In charge of two or more persons
Canteen Assistant and volunteers report to this position
Extent of Authority
- Has authority to purchase/order necessary products and produce to deliver a healthy canteen food service.
- Exercise a degree of autonomy to achieve objectives of the position.
- Management and direction of Canteen assistant/s and volunteers.
The canteen manager is responsible for the planning, organizing, monitoring and overall management of the day-to-day operations of the school canteen. This includes the following responsibilities:
- Developing, implementing and managing procedures to deliver the food service
- Ordering, purchasing and checking all supplies (against invoice and delivery dockets)
- Opening and closing the canteen
- Preparation and cooking for service
- The rostering and management of voluntary workers
- Daily record-keeping (as deemed necessary by the canteen policy)
- Ensuring all workers sign in and out
- Ensuring a safe working environment for both staff and volunteers
- Devise and maintain the roster of volunteers, and advertise the rosters for the week in the school newsletter
- Providing leadership to canteen staff and volunteers to ensure the delivery of an affordable food service to the students and staff of the school
- Induction and training volunteers in the food preparation and other procedures to deliver an affordable food service to the school community
- Facilitate a friendly and pleasant working environment for the volunteers
- Ensuring that students are treated with respect and dignity and should any issues arise, these will be immediately reported to both P&C and school administration
- Counting, recording and reconciling the daily takings according to school policy for safe handling of money
- Setting and maintaining the price list, ensuring profitable value for money
- Processing payment of suppliers weekly, including entry into DEXT and reconciling this each month to the bank statements of the Canteen accounts
- Managing the Flexischools online ordering system daily and processing account information into Xero
- Calculation and processing of wages for staff pay
- Balance the bank statement to Xero at the end of each month
- Balance the Flexischools statements to Xero at the end of each month
- Provide a report to P&C on canteen each month for the P&C Meeting
- Prepare and submit a monthly financial reconciliation to the treasurer of the P&C
- Ensuring the health, safety and welfare of others in the canteen including undertaking a canteen risk assessment for hazards every term according to WH&S legislation
- Logging maintenance issues and adhering to WH&S policies and procedures
Food Preparation & Management
- Orientating and training volunteers in the food preparation and other procedures to deliver an affordable food service to the students and staff
- Ensuring all canteen workers, including volunteers, are familiar with correct food handling and hygiene practices in line with relevant legislation
- Ensure that stock is kept at appropriate levels and a stocktake is undertaken at the end of each school term
- Implement procedures and process regarding food safety to ensure that correct food handling and hygiene practices are performed to prevent food spoilage, contamination and subsequent food poisoning
- Co-operate with the P&C in organising the ordering, delivery and storage of items for special events being conducted by the school
- Use food preparation and cooking skills to minimise waste of fresh produce
- Ensuring that the cleaning of the canteen is carried out daily (e.g., dusting of shelves and stock, wiping down benches, cleaning of all equipment and fixtures) in accordance to the cleaning procedures set out in the food safety plan
- Follow, maintain and update as necessary current policies to deliver the food service
- Ensuring that the products and services supplied by the canteen are marketed and promoted to generate a high level of sales on a daily basis
- Ensure that the operation of the canteen is in line with the values of the school community
- Security in the canteen such as money, keys, arming security alarms, locking all doors and windows, switching off all appliances (except refrigeration units) and restricting entry to the canteen to only those who are authorised to be there
- Weekly washing of canteen laundry
Applications for employment must address the above listed criteria and be accompanied by a current resume, including two referees.
Please forward applications to email@example.com. Applications close Monday, 6th December 2021.