Sweet Chilli Tofu Stir fry
GREEN ACT/SA / EVERYDAY NSW
Makes 8 serves Secondary schools
Makes 10 serves Primary schools
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra canola oil
- 500g extra firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced into thin strips
- 1 large green capsicum, sliced into thin strips
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, grated
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce, reduced salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, (cooked according to directions)
- 2 spring onions (scallions), diced
- 1 cup coriander, chopped (optional)
- ¼ sesame seeds to top (optional)
- Cook the onion over high heat in a wok with the 2 tbsp oil until translucent, then add the garlic until fragrant.
- Stir through both varieties of capsicum, cabbage and carrot, until firm but still cooked.
- In a separate pan, fry the tofu over high heat in the extra oil until golden brown
- Add the tofu to the vegetable mix on medium heat add the soy sauce, honey, corn starch and stir through for five minutes
- Top with the shallots, coriander and sesame seeds.
- Serve in 6 separate bowls over about 1/2 cup of the brown rice.
Variations: Depending on the season, try adding Bok Choy, yellow capsicum Chinese cabbage or Chinese broccoli for colour and variety.
Tips: The cornflour is used to thicken the sauce, ensure it’s dissolved through the sauce before turning the heat off.
For a printable version of this recipe click here