Sweet potato and tomato soup
Makes 20 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (2x2cm)
- 6 cups, reduced salt chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder or cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add tomatoes, and sweet potato to the saucepan.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and cayenne pepper or chilli powder.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Blend until smooth in a blender or with a stick blender.
Serve with a wholemeal roll.
Per serve (1 cup) Per 100g
Energy (kJ) 268 133
Protein (g) 2.7 1.4
Fat- Total (g) 1.1 0.6
Fat- Saturated (g) 0.2 0.1
Carbohydrate- Total (g) 9.7 4.8
Carbohydrate- Sugar (g) 4.2 2.1
Sodium (mg) 196 97
Fibre (g) 1.9 0.9