Very veggie pasta sauce
05/12/2013 Canteen recipes, Everyday, GREEN, HKA Kitchen, Party food ideas, Recipes, Sauces
Makes 2L, approximately 13 serves for pasta
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, medium, diced
- ½ leek, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- ¼ small butternut pumpkin or 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1L canned tomatoes (no added salt), bottled passata (crushed tomatoes), or 1kg overripe tomatoes (see tips).
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium – low heat.
- Add onion, leek, celery, zucchini and capsicum and cook with lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pumpkin or sweet potato and cook, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and blend with a stick blender until smooth (a food processor or blender can also be used but ensure the mixture is cooled before blending)
- Adjust texture with water or a little passata if too thick.
- This sauce is prefect for pasta, lasagne or as a pizza base sauce.
- This recipe freezes well.
- If you have overripe tomatoes, this is a great recipe to use them in! Cut a shallow ‘X’ on the bottom of each tomato, then put them in the freezer overnight. Remove tomatoes from freezer, and under running water, gently peel the skin off each tomato starting at the ‘X’. Cut tomatoes into small pieces, then set aside to thaw. Add the tomatoes to this recipe as you would in step 4.
|Per serve (145g)||Per 100g|
|Fat- Total (g)||2.4||1.6|
|Fat- Saturated (g)||0.3||0.2|
|Carbohydrate- Total (g)||8.0||5.5|
|Carbohydrate- Sugar (g)||5.1||3.5|