Healthy Kids Association is a non-profit, non-government health promotion charity based in Sydney, Australia. Our mission is to promote and influence healthy food choices for children. Nowadays, one in four children in Australia are classified as being overweight or obese. Our children are our future and we believe teaching healthy eating habits at a young age can change a person’s life for the better. We aim to educate and empower families, children and school canteens to make the healthiest choices possible. Our nutrition philosophy is one of balance that promotes the five core foods, variety and mindful eating.
How do we get our message out?
- Healthy Kids Association has a membership base consisting of more than 1,100 NSW school canteens. We work with our members assisting them to deliver healthy food menus that meet government guidelines and strategies. We offer phone-support, menu assessments as well as a biannual magazine and newsletter to our members.
- Each year we host our annual Healthy Kids Association Exhibition. This yearly event gives Food Industry the opportunity to display their approved products and canteen managers and workers the chance to sample new products.
- Our School Canteen Buyers’ Guide is mailed to schools Australia-wide annually. This guide is a thorough listing of food products that we have assessed and that are registered with us and fall into the GREEN or AMBER categories of our Healthy Kids Nutrition Criteria.
- We work with governments to implement programs that encourage healthy food choices. We currently hold a three year contract to deliver the Crunch&Sip program in schools across NSW. This program encourages children and teachers to take a short break and refuel using only fruit or vegetables as their snack. We have more than 900 schools across NSW partaking in the program.
- We communicate with parents through our parents’ email newsletter, Facebook page and Twitter account. We offer easy, healthy ideas for parents to use at home. Our team of on-staff nutritionists publish articles regularly on parent-read websites to further our reach. Plus, we regularly send a parent-focused email newsletter to subscribers.
- We implement school holiday cooking programs with various councils and after-school care centres across Sydney to teach children healthy eating habits.
- We partner with food companies, sports programs or other organisations to deliver healthy-eating messages through their channels.
If you’d like further information, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or on (02) 9876 1300.