Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch
Did you know that currently only 5% of NSW children are eating enough vegetables? In order to work towards improving this percentage, we are increasing children’s knowledge, exposure and positive attitudes towards vegetables.
How can you help?
Vegetable Week, featuring the fun event ‘The Big Vegie Crunch,’ is a free, quick and easy school-based event for NSW primary schools, funded by NSW Health.
‘The Big Vegie Crunch’ is an attempt by NSW primary school students to break the record for the highest number of children eating vegetables simultaneously – and to get kids excited about vegetables!
Vegetable Week 2019 ran from Monday 1st April to Friday 5th April, with The Big Vegie Crunch being held at 10am on Thursday 4th April.
So what happened?
In 2018, we had 472 schools registered for the event with 115,164 students. This year we had a whopping 127,161 students registered across 544 schools! Despite the huge interest from you all, we weren’t able to break The Big Vegie Crunch record set in 2018. But there was a whole lot of vegetable eating going on – 40,612 students crunched vegetables together at 10am on Thursday April 4th and a further 14,117 crunched at another time over Vegetable Week. Way to go all you vegie eaters!
Based on the amazing, positive stories in the media and feedback from those who participated, The Big Vegie Crunch was a great success.
Registration for the 2019 event has now closed. But for a limited time, you can still access the Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch resources:
- Get ready enewsletters – Get Ready #1 (sent 7th Feb), Get Ready #2 (sent 18th Mar), Get Ready (#3 (sent 1st April)
- Activity and lesson ideas – Up the Veg Activity Resource
- Organisational hints and tips – Get Ready, Get Steady, Get Crunching Resource
- Ready-to-go communication resources – Schools Media Release, School Newsletter Snippets and Event Logo
- Access to the super funky ‘The Big Vegie Crunch’ theme song
- Student acknowledgment stickers – green in-house printing version, white in-house printing version, commercial print version, and instructions on how to print stickers
- Need to find the resources mentioned in the Up the Veg Activity Resource? Find the links to them here: Crunch&Sip School Resource Pack; Fruit & Veg Month 2016 Teacher’s Booklet, Fruit & Veg Month 2017 Teacher’s Booklet, Happy Snacks resource, Crunch&Sip classroom poster
- Ideas to help your school families up their veg – the ‘Veg it up at home’ newsletter snippets and links to recipes for families
- Access to ‘The Big Vegie Crunch’ timer so you can count down to the big moment!
- Not crunching at 10am on 4th April? That’s ok! You won’t need the timer but you can still use the ‘Crunch Time’ page to get you all crunching together
- A snippet to let your families know what happened – post-event School Newsletter Snippet
Stay tuned for further updates on Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch.
For further questions, please contact us.