Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch
Did you know that currently only 5.4% of Australian children are eating enough vegetables? In order to work towards improving this percentage, we need to increase children’s knowledge, exposure and positive attitudes towards vegetables. That’s why we need your help!
Vegetable Week, featuring the fun event ‘The Big Vegie Crunch,’ is a free, school-based event for NSW primary schools, supported by NSW Health. The aim of the event is to increase children’s knowledge, exposure and positive attitudes towards vegetables.
Vegetable Week 2018 ran from Monday 26th February to Friday 2nd March 2018, with The Big Vegie Crunch be held at 10am on Thursday 1st March.
In 2017, 29,067 students across NSW primary schools crunched together to break the record for the most children eating vegetables simultaneously. In 2018 we wanted to break this record again and encourage children across NSW to get positive about crunching more veg!
So what happened?
Thanks to more than 292 schools across NSW, we have broken the record! 47,920 students crunched at 10am on Thursday 1st March with a further 11,915 students crunching at other times over Vegetable Week.
From the stories in the media and feedback from those who participated, the Big Vegie Crunch has been a great success! If you have any photos or videos from the event please send them to us.
Registration for the 2018 event is now closed. But for a limited time, you can still access the Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch resources:
- A helpful guide on getting ready for The Big Vegie Crunch – Get ready! Get steady! Get crunching!
- Ideas on other fun, and educational, veg-related activities you can do with your school community – Up the veg!
- School newsletter snippets (and a copy of the event logo) to use in your communications with parents before the event. A school newsletter snippet to use to let your parents know what happened after the event.
- A media release you can modify and send to your local media outlets to let them know what you are up to
- A countdown tool (and notes on how to use it) so that you don’t miss the big moment!
- A theme song! Play this song before, during and after Vegetable Week to keep up the positive vegelicious vibe
Looking for the Fruit & Veg Month resources mentioned in the Up the Veg! resource? You can find them here:
- Vegetable Science interactive whiteboard lessons from Fruit & Veg Month 2016
- Fruit & Veg Month 2016 Teacher’s Booklet
- Fruit & Veg Month 2017 Teacher’s Booklet
Stay tuned for further updates on Vegetable Week & The Big Vegie Crunch.
For further questions, please contact us.