In Australia, each state and territory has their own nutrition policies and guidelines for their schools and canteens. Government schools are required to implement these guidelines, and independent and Catholic schools are strongly encouraged to adopt them.
On the Healthy Kids website, you’ll find more information about:
Please note: These guidelines are currently undergoing review
Canteen policies/guidelines followed by the remaining states/territories:
- QLD: Smart Choices Healthy Food and Drink Supply Strategy for Queensland Schools
- VIC: School Canteen & Other School Food Services Policy – Healthy Choices Food and Drink Classification Guide (Visit the Healthy Eating Advisory Service to view updates that have been made to the existing criteria).
- TAS: National Healthy School Canteens Guidelines
- NT: School Nutrition and Healthy Eating Guidelines
- WA: Healthy Food & Drink Policy
Download our State/Territory Canteen Guidelines Summary
Click here to see a summary of the various State/Territory Canteen Guidelines and where to get support.