GREEN (ACT & SA)
Makes 40 falafel
- 5 medium carrots, grated
- 5 small grated zucchinis
- 5 x 420g tin chickpeas, well rinsed and drained
- 1 ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ¼ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Strain grated carrot and zucchini to remove excess liquid.
- In a food processor, combine the carrot, zucchini, chickpeas, parsley, oregano and onion until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Measure out a heaped tablespoon and shape your falafel into 40 even-sized balls.
- Place falafel onto prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve 1 as a snack, or 2-3 with a meal.
- Substitute the chickpeas with other beans or legumes.
- This recipe can be used in meals such as falafel burgers, on a wholegrain wrap, in a pita sandwich or in salads.
- To save time – after draining the carrots and zucchinis, you could use the food processor to chop the onions, carrots and zucchinis before adding in the chickpeas, parsley and oregano.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop to ensure your falafels are the same size each time
Click here for a printable version of this recipe